Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker
Quote:
Isn't called show business for nothing.

Good point. I’ve never wanted to be a “showman”. I’ve never wanted to be an “entertainer.” The only thing I’ve wanted as a musician is to play for people who wanted to quietly LISTEN to the music instead of expecting me to entertain them while they ignored me.

It’s perfectly okay for folks to get rowdy between songs, but while I’m playing I want them to either shut up and listen, …or leave immediately.

That’s part of why I chose to focus primarily on acoustic music. Wood and strings. Honest and intimate. It can be played on your front porch when the electricity is off or around a campfire at night.

I’ve been called a “purist” on here more than once. I now also find myself thinking about music in terms of art or entertainment. I’ll take “art” 99.99% of the time.

If I hear 2 instruments coming through the PA system, I want to see 2 musicians on stage. If I hear 5 instruments, then I want to see 5 musicians on stage.

My favorite combo when playing live is a duo. Preferably guitar and mandolin. Both instruments are well suited to lead and a solid rhythm backup.

But as I’ve repeatedly stated on these forums, that’s just my opinion. I don’t speak for anyone other than myself. That doesn’t mean it’s not a valid opinion.

Keep it simple and honest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU1cWO_38Bw&index=21&list=PL7MZ550uvzVrKj0jp-Fr-Pvc75KOrJsOV

You do realize that Ms. Hull is playing a cover, right? grin