Hi all,

In a recent post, I mentioned the fact that I'm not very fond of the own sound of my voice - but I do like to sing (what irony !!!)

I know vocal effects will never change the problems with the original signal, but I'm wondering if certain vocal effects might make the whole 'band sound' a little better, or in the case of covers - closer to the original recording sound (I realize some people believe in close emulation and others total originality - let's leave that debate alone for now smile

So if you are a singer out there - or even a guitar player that likes to occasionally sing in the absence of a singer, what advice can you give about the following:

1.) how to methodically work through different vocal effects settings to find what suits your voice, and where to fit it in the 'mix'
(references to websites, books also appreciated)

2.) what vocal effects are obviously heard (obvious to those that are familiar with vocal processing, that is) in the classic pop and rock recordings of famous hit songs (any you mention can be looked up quickly on youtube - share your favorite)