Hi all,

Again - I am asking an open-ended question regarding pickups, evaluating them, and 'tuning them up'.

I bought 2 cheapo strats a few years ago - one feels really good (action, neck), but seems to have low output compared to the other 'cheapo' strat - which has terrible neck bow and action, but puts out a really 'louder, brighter' sound - all settings being equal.

In an effort to beef up the good feeling strat, I purchased a pair of used "original fender" pickups, with the intention of replacing myself (have never done this before).

Now, I realize that people often replace pickups for various reasons - sound first, feedback at higher volumes, etc. ???

As in a previous post, I mentioned it easy to compare 2 guitars side-by-side for various features. But when they're in isolation (as in after the purchases) - or separated by time (as in trying different guitars out in different places - eg. someone's house from craigslist) - are there any more object tests or measures I can do to evaluate pickups ?

As always - appreciative of all the great advice and new ideas I get on this site,
Joe V.

Last edited by Joe V; 06/03/14 06:14 AM.