Cool tune. Short as well.

There are still plenty of gospel groups around here that play that very style of gospel music..... it's called Southern Gospel. Typified by the family based gospel groups and 4 guys in suits, as I like to call them who sing to backing tracks. This style is very popular in lots of churches here in the south. On a given Sunday evening, somewhere, within a short driving distance, there are at least one or two churches hosting just such a group, open to the public.

Your song is solidly in the classic southern gospel writing style. If it was mine, I would consider making a few changes to the tune. First and foremost, write a chorus. Where the solo instruments come in, hit the chorus..... then, at the end of the chorus, hit a short solo section...the hotter the picking here, the better...people in a church love a fancy picking solo no matter what the instrument... as far as solo length, one half of a verse is about right but don't be afraid to go an entire verse.... then grab a third verse (as yet unwritten) followed by the chorus again.....tag it and waaa laaa....

....and just a note...... at the end in a live performance of the song, during the applause and standing ovation...... let the applause go for 10 seconds or so, then jump right back into the chorus, hit another verse, followed by the chorus and tag at the ending again.... that's a trick I have seen at every single southern gospel show....bar none. The people really, really love that one.

Of course, this is only my opinion..... but as I see it, you have the start to a very good southern gospel song.... now take the time to finish it properly.

Nice work.

As an afterthought, a chorus isn't necessarily needed in this style. You could actually go in either direction....with or without. Just write a third verse and follow the rest of the road map. A bridge may be just as good if there's something you could add in a bridge.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 06/10/14 08:46 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.