Originally Posted By: Lawrie
I would like to see thing change such that:
a) rights cannot be assigned to anyone other than the creator of a work (except as in c) below).

b) the current practice of rights assignment be replaced with a time limited, non exclusive licence (max 25 years) and/or a time limited exclusive licence (max 5 years) - relicencing permitted, but exclusive licences cannot be relicenced to any entity or associated entity that has already had an exclusive licence.

c) copyright to expire 25 years after the creators demise PROVIDED there are no questionable circumstances surrounding their death. If there are questionable circumstances then the work is NEVER placed in the public domain and the rights be assigned to a charity of the creators preference, or where this is unknown, a charity chosen by lottery. Should said charity cease to be a charity or it become defunct then a new charity be selected by lottery.

d) copyright resides in either an individual or a group of individuals - compann's or other dorporate type entities CANNOT hold Intellectual Property of any kind. Rationale is that people create, not corporations or other "legal entities".

Lotsa people would probably hate these things, but they'd go a long way to overcome the kind of exploitation that stops the creators from getting a fair return on their work while the exploiters get obscenely rich. The creators should be the ones getting obscenely rich!

Lawrie,

Consider this scenario:

I buy some land, clear it, dig a well and build a house with my own hands. I have a deed to the land that the house sits on. If I decide I want to emigrate to beautiful NSW, do I have the right to sell the house and land? I “created” the house. Can I rent the house? Only for 5 years? If I get eaten by a great white off the Great Barrier Reef, does my deed expire in 25 years, and the house go to a “charity” chosen by lottery? Can I sell the house and land to a bank? After all, they didn't create the house. I did.

When I write a song and copyright it, I own it. With that ownership comes the right to sell, assign or designate all or part of the copyright to any party I choose. Who better to be the arbiter of my rights under US copyright law?

Regards,

Bob