Originally Posted By: rkatz0
Hi,

I am very new to recording and using electronic equipment though I have been working in the computer service business for many years. That being said I purchased Band In A Box a few months ago before I had my audio interface (from guitar to USB) so I jammed with it a bit, programmed a few chord changes, and put it down for a while.

My main objective is to be able to compose, record and play tunes I write, mainly. At this current time here is a list of equipment and programs I have accumulated in the last few months:

Laney IRT-STUDIO amp with GS212PE speakers
Fender Stratocaster American Standard
BOSS BR-800 Digital Recorder
M-Audio BX5 Monitor Speakers
BOSS ME-80 guitar effects, and some amps as well.
Fender Mustang Mini - While waiting for my IRT-STUDIO Amp
Line 6 POD Studio UX2 - audio interface for guitar/vocals to USB port on computer

Band In A Box Pro
Reason Limited
Line 6 POD Farm 2
Line 6 Gearbox
Cakewalk SONAR LE
Cubase LE (trial version)
Reaper (trial version)

At this point I don't have much of a head about me to use MIDI and all the recording concepts. I have read a few boards and there are many guys that have 3-4 of the DAW programs and are not even using all of the power, don't read the manuals and just end up using one for certain functions and so forth. I have also seen others who are complete freaks that use everything, I don't feel I want to get that deeply into it. I just want to be able to lay basic tracks, grab some drums, bass and piano / guitar or what have you from BIAB and record along on some tracks, etc...

I have recorded a few basic tracks with the software above, not yet with BIAB, just jammed along. I notice the Audio record button suggests a windows interface not sure if this include USB audio interfaces or how so I guess that is a good place to begin. I would also like to be able to take drums from BIAB, in a structure, and either export and import into Cubase, Reaper or Reason (or another DAW I decide on) into a track and use it that way.

Please offer any suggestions and I apologize for being long winded.

Thanks.

Very impressive list.

I started back in 2002 with Sonar 2.2 and learned (sometimes the hard way) MIDI.

I have very recently gotten into BIAB (BB) through the encouragement of my brother who used BB (from way back, not sure now long) to help him write songs in BB and that's what I am now starting to do. But the learning curve is pretty steep.

I like to write in BB and then bring the song/melody into RB to massage it. I then, export the single tracks (of the instruments) into Sonar via the "dropbox " method.

As was stated above, use the many very good videos either produces by PGMusic or the others produces by very talented BB users for educate yourself on the many nuances of the very fine program.

Last edited by Del3535; 06/24/14 06:46 AM.

Del