Originally Posted By: Gary Curran
Josie, and Critter,

But, one of the biggest issues that we have as a small company is that people don't really know what they are listening to. I could record a Steinway Grand Piano in a concert hall with two mics, and the present it to you in three forms, a.) unaltered, b.) with a small amount of harmonic distortion, and c.) louder, and you would probably pick 'B' or 'C' as the better sounding. Why? Because most people do not know what a properly mic'd piano in a concert hall really sounds like.

Gary

Just for fun a good experiment would be to have a 100 listeners (50 musicians and 50 music lovers but non-musicians), one at a time, sit blindfolded in the same concert hall at a to be defined "optimum" listening position (whatever that means, but they must sit way off stage in the audience seating area, not on or near stage) with a that SAME recorded piano:

1) live or actual and we'll call that option

a.) true

2- though "top 'o the line" monitors, and clearly best uncolored power amps money can buy, positioned at same location as piano (listener should not be able to tell acoustically that anything has moved or is "different") using your

b.) unaltered,
c.) with a small amount of harmonic distortion, and
d.) louder.

Then get them to pick BEST

- overall (one out of four) and also

- A versus B (true versus unaltered) - actually can they tell true from sampled????

I wonder what sampling results would look like?

And what would conclusion be if a statistically significant number of musicians do NOT PICK the actual live piano (they pick options b, c, or d at alpha of say .1 (please note: this is a fast and badly defined, and designed, experiment by me; therefore, the beta is uncontrolled, which is a very bad way to put together a statistical test experiment but hey, I'm retired and not being paid to do this anymore either <G>)

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20