Lots of really good info in this thread both for newbies and the more advanced. My approach is based, obviously, on my tools at hand and what's left of my old ears. A few notes in no particular order.

1. Reference music for me is essential. I listen to an example of the genre that I'm mixing that has the same feel and is well produced by folks that I admire. I try to imprint it on the ole brain before starting and during the process.

2. I start with RT's that are as dry as I can bring them into the DAW.

3. For track effects I use only modules of Izotope's Ozone5 and Necter2 (Yes Necter2 is a vocal product...but it has a great emulation of the old EMT 140 plate reverb that works very well for my needs.)

4. I rarely ever solo a track when adding effects but try to listen to how an effect on one track sits in the aggregate and to what degree it may affect the panning and/or gain.

5. When I'm satisfied (are we ever?) with the general mix I apply certain Ozone mastering presets that have been modified to work with particular genre's and other specific needs. If I like the mastering but perhaps it is influencing one or two tracks in a negative manner I will try if possible to manipulate the mastering to fix it rather than changing the track's variables. Several members of BIAB's online community have helped me a LOT with Izotope's products.

6. I try to always remember that "perfection is not when there's nothing left to add but rather when there is nothing left to take away."

7. I try to remember that mixing "rules" are extraordinarily broad and are very contextual and are often very genre specific.

8. When "finished" I try to exercise the discipline of putting the project away for a couple of days and then coming back for a fresh listen. Occasionally I'm pleasantly surprised :-)