No there are VERY important reasons to set it much higher.

Just think about it; the higher the resolution, the more exact the recording and any edits can be.

Example:
Editing audio and you want to splice two tracks together.
Or copy from a zero crossing point to another.

3840 gives you 4X the exactness of grabbing the exact sample that crosses zero as 960.

It's not just a matter of MIDI (which is still important for those who play with 'feel') but critical in audio.

I'll post a couple image examples soon (you can see yourself if you zoom in a ton on the Audio Edit window RB and try to click an exact spot in a wave form. When really zoomed in the actual cursor placement is often beside where you clicked.

It's maths. Like I said I'll post a followup to explain better, but I have to sign off soon.

Picture 1 below shows how exact I can get an edit point at 3840.
The next 2 pictures show my options right and left at 120.

Which will make a cleaner edit?
240 lets the cursor get 1/2 way to the desired spot.
480 lets it get another 'half way' closer (half of the half)
960 gets another half
1920 gets you almost there
3840 gets you as close as you can get in RB.

If you have ever played with loops and samples, getting down to as close of an edit point as you can is very important.
RB audio editing uses the click (resolution) as the edit/start/stop point. Some others do it in milliseconds, and some others do it in actual samples.
Setting RB to as high a resolution as possible harms nothing and does not stress a system. Why not do this?

Understand that if you were recording MIDI and actually hit the note when the cursor was at the position of Picture 1, if you use 120 resolution it will be recorded and played back at the cursor position of Picture 2 or 3 .. which is not as accurate or 'real' of a representation of the performance.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Reso1.jpg (19.15 KB, 23 downloads)
Reso2.jpg (18.46 KB, 23 downloads)
Reso3.jpg (21.41 KB, 23 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 08/23/14 05:42 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome