Thanks Rob for the additional information. It's very helpful as well as interesting getting insight on how such professional results are achieved.

Your technique is similar to how I created practice tracks for a band I worked with until recently. (the band split up). I used a Tascam DP-24 to record practice sessions and used those tracks to duplicate the arrangements of cover songs the band performed using BIAB/RB and Studio One 2. My DAW of choice is Studio One 2 Professional. Each song normally took 3 to four days to complete. The thought was to have the playlist available to use for backing tracks eventually but we never got that far along. However, the songs accurately duplicated the band arrangement of each particular song.

I haven't had the same patience for original songs I post here on the forum. One issue has been the huge variety of styles available to preview. Another is the ease that chord progressions can be changed and experimented with. With only one exception, all of my original material has morphed into a song that is a lot different than the idea and song in my head.

What happens at that point is that rather than spending time polishing and correction, I usually create, mix, set levels, pan and use the reverb effects of BIAB and export a stereo file that I do very little post work other than balancing with the vocals recorded in Studio One and using the Project master feature of Studio One to eq this vocal/stereo music track and add a bit of compression and a limiter across the whole mix to bring up the loudness. Vocals and music many times are completed in one take. Sub-par, if one considers the tools available don't you think? Part of my excuse for that is that I convinced myself I was just learning my way around BIAB/RB/Studio One but I will soon be starting on my ninth month of using these programs and my songs are getting left in the dust by other artists so I actually resolved today to change things up on my original songs and put more effort into creating the song in my head rather than a cool style song I was influenced by BIAB to produce. Getting back to my roots in a manner of speaking. This is no way intended to disparage BIAB, the fact is the opposite is true. BIAB has given me the tools to produce music way beyond anything I could do otherwise at home. If I need steel guitar, Dobro, fiddle, mandolin, strings or horns they are all at my fingertip any hour and they don't charge by the hour.

At any rate, I enjoy the professional songs you and Anne-Marie submit and envy your work ethic and pride to push yourself to produce the best product you can. Your unselfish kindness in sharing some insight to how you do what you do is greatly appreciated.

Charlie

Last edited by c_fogle; 08/29/14 02:45 PM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.