If you're upgrading for better sound.... the card won't do it. Digital is digital whether it's in a factory chip of the most expensive studio pro interface.

the audio converters and amps may be a bit better but in most cases they are very similar so don't really expect much there either in the way of improvement. Sound improvement comes from the speakers and the amps mainly. However.... in a studio, you're not necessarily looking for "good sound"... just accurate sound. (another thread for another day)

The main reason most folks do upgrades is for the features..... more inputs, more outputs, sometimes the DSP FX, the preamps, not PCI based, etc.....

With the M-Audio 2496 you have a fairly decent 2 in 2 out PCI card. But it is limited and PCI.

I'll assume that you are seeking more inputs and the RME will certainly raise your channel limits considerably. That's a very nice interface. I like that it's NOT a PCI card based interface but either firewire or USB. That makes connecting more mics and inputs so much easier than reaching behind the computer to do things. I started with a PCI card based interface and wouldn't go back for anything in the world right now.

Personally, I would go with the FW or USB external interface option... if for no other reason than the convenience and portability.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.