The great news is, I finally have my studio completely set up, essentially for the first time ever, including a subwoofer that has sat idle for over two years. All of the important software is installed and I'm ready to go.

The issue is low-level static and a medium-pitched whine (not 60 Hz, but maybe an upper harmonic) in my main speakers. It's not apparent when music is playing at a conversational level, but is noticeable in a quiet room, and bothersome during quiet passages of music.

Except for incandescent replacements, there are no fluorescent lights or dimmers in the house. I have ruled out the cable modem and wireless router in the room, which can't be moved anyway.

All of the AC except the sub is plugged into a single surge suppressor, including the DAW, mixer, headphone amp, video monitors, speakers, and Roland VG-88. The only things running now are the DAW, dual monitors, and speakers. The sub is plugged into a separate surge suppressor on the same outlet pair as everything else.

My control, signal, and power lines are a rat's nest, and I know I need to work on that. What else, in your collective opinion, needs doing?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."