I've been mostly in lurker mode for the last couple of months. Part of it was because I've been busy working on other things, but also because of a self-imposed exile where I'd promised myself I'd stop commenting on other people's tracks until I posted a few more of my own. (Yes, it's the exact opposite of what Josie sensibly suggested).

In my defense, I didn't think it would take nearly this long to finish a song! shocked

Memory Eternal
I close my eyes at the end of the day
Letting colors and cares drift away
I wonder - who dreams this dream of wonder and song
And who will remember when we're gone?

The catch in my throat; the pang of regret
One shining moment; some final sunset
Held close in my heart, so I'll never forget
But who will remember when we're gone?

Although we've time spent in this world
With time and tide, this all will pass away
Unless we're held in memory eternal
And in memory eternal we'll stay

Cello, Background PopCountry Ev 085
Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 120
Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Rhythm Pop16ths Ev16 065
Fiddle, Background Pop16ths Ev 110
Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment PopBalladJohn Ev 110

Flute, English Horn: Westgate Instrument library
Female Vocals: AVANNA Vocaloid

Mixed in Reaper, using EZMix2 and Nectar on vocals. Pitch correction using Reaper's built-in tools, and pretty much straining it to the limit. It's a good idea to make sure a song is in a good key before putting creating the backing tracks. blush

The song title comes from a phrase in the Eastern Orthodox memorial service, but it thematically borrows a bit from from Lewis Carrol as well. I've broken my usual rule and allowed a lot of word repetitions, such as:

I wonder - who dreams this dream of wonder and song

I can't offer any defensible excuse for it.

Per usual, I wrote lyrics, and then tried to set them to music.

After struggling for much too long, I finally sat down and put together a simple chord progression in BiaB with lots of lovely major 7th chords. I then imported the backing tracks into the Vocaloid editor and pushed notes and words around until I got something I liked.

Feedback is welcome. In particular, I suspect the mix balance isn't where it needs to be, especially with the vocals. I didn't use reference tracks while mixing - shame on me.

If anyone's curious, here's a link to the rough demo track with the Yohioloid Vocaloid on the vocals. I'm not entirely sure the "polished" version improves on the "rough" version.

Last edited by dcuny; 10/02/14 08:08 AM. Reason: Fixed link

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?