“Since we don't know each other I don't know what you're thinking of when I mention volume. If you're a heavy metal rocker that's one thing, if you're a lounge lizard that's another.”

Actually, volume is volume, regardless of the genre. A heavy metal band can attenuate their volume, just as a lounge act can blow glasses off the bar if they have the power to do so. Quite a few bar bands equate volume with “good”, and play at ear-splitting levels. We play Classic Rock, and try to keep the overall SLP at 90 dB, “A” weighted (slow), 30' from the stage. This keeps people on the dance floor, but still able to converse without shouting. We have a comparatively small PA – just 900 watts into 4 ohms driving 15” mains, and a small JBL 500 watt powered sub. Add to that a 30 watt tube amp and a 250 watt bass amp, and if I want, I can knock people's glasses off of the bar. grin

The ambient noise level in a packed bar can reach 90-100 dB without any music playing, so actual sound levels are cumulative.

Wattage and volume do not equate either. Tube amps generate higher SPL that SS amps, for example.
My reticence regarding Aspen's “105 dB” is simply because – lacking any sensitivity specs, or even a frequency chart, there is no way to compare his unit with known factors/systems. Bose is infamous for this kind of thing.

As an example:

The QSC K12 powered speaker:

12" LF driver, 1.75" HF driver
Frequency Response: 48Hz-20kHz
Max SPL: 131dB
1,000 watt, efficient and light-weight class-D power module

The Max SPL is the important number. The QSC is a 12” driver coupled with a 1000 watt Class-D amp. The Spacestation is an 8” driver with a 100 watt amp.

How loud a speaker gets depends on how "sensitive" it is. "Sensitivity" is measured by determining the decibel (dB) level of a speaker when 1 watt of power is applied, measured from 1 meter away.

This "sensitivity rating" means that a speaker with a sensitivity rating of 90 dB SPL can create a sound pressure level ("SPL") of 90 decibels with 1 watt of power measured 1 meter from the speaker. In short hand, "90 dB SPL 1W/1M".

I just doubt that an 8” speaker driven by a 100 watt amp can generate 105 dB @ 1 watt/ 1 meter. I could be wrong - it's happened quite often before! grin

Scott is the expert in these things – I'm just a guitar player, but I have to deal with SPL in everything from a quiet restaurant to a noisy biker bar.

As I said before, if it works for you, great. It sure is easier than dragging a Leslie around!

Regards,

Bob