Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
I see you guys are way beyond me on this subject. But, it's not 100W it's 280W tri-amped. Like I said just read the now 11 page and growing thread on the KC. Aspen started posting on page 7 and he's interacting with a bunch of tech types just like you. As you read what he's saying and you become aware of his impressive history you realize he's one of the heavyweights and knows what he's talking about.

If he said 105db, that's what it is. All I can say is I've been gigging since 1964 in the Air Force in Japan and all over North America since carrying B3's, Leslies and tons of other crap. Of course that's all gone now and I've severely downsized. I know what volume means and how bands sound and the mix and all that stuff. I was an agent for five years and wrote reports from clubs on the mix, the overall volume and stuff like that to other clubs who trusted me. When I say this little amp was pretty darn loud in that room and very clean, I mean it. Talk about 8" drivers and all that all you want, technology marches on. You mentioned QSC and they're very good, I happen to like the new EV stuff and the new EV ZXA1 is an 8" and it kicks butt. So does the new Yamaha DXR10. These amps with new electronics and neo drivers blows 10 year old Eon's and such right out the water not just with the sound but the weight too.

Somebody mentioned how heavy the Spacestation is for it's size (39 pounds) and why doesn't he use Class D amps. He said he does and then launched into a short tech discussion of the differences between amp types and how they interact with the exact drivers he's using, how that affects the computer modeling for the stereo 90 degree out of phase effect and blah, blah, blah. My eyes glazed over. The dude is an engineer, you know?

I know you're a bit skeptical and I respect that and your knowledge too but I'm telling you this thing is a game changer not just for keyboards but as a small group PA with everything going through it except drums. He also mentioned he will be coming out with a bigger version in about a year. Will it be that mouth watering Manzarek one? Probably not but I'll bet it will be pretty hot.

Bob

Bob,

I wasn't trying to impugn your knowledge or experience, and I apologize if it came off that way. I understand that Aspen is an innovator, and that this is probably a great product.

I am certainly no engineer, just someone who has had to sort through a lot of hype with audio gear; companies that fudge their specs, some that don't provide any specs (like Bose), and some that substitute peak for RMS. I like to see specs that I can compare to other systems, with solid measurements, such as the standard 1 watt/1 meter SPL.

To merely state: “If he said 105db, that's what it is.” may satisfy your curiosity, but not mine. It could be that the 105 dB figure is actually a measurement at 1 watt/1 meter, but without the clarity of having that stated plainly, I cannot make that assumption.

I will be interested to read your review when you get to use it at a gig. Looks like a really cool unit.

Regards,

Bob