Originally Posted By: Kemmrich

<snip> She writes songs that connects with her audience -- what more can you ask for as a songwriter.

Probably nothing, but it isn't the WRITING that's at issue, it's the PERFORMANCE - I'm with Notes.

I play a fair bit of musical theatre (actually opening Phantom of the Opera tonight smile ) and I can tell you that there are lots of great amateur singers and performers around who can sing the socks of the auto-tune dependant.

Oh, and I do NOT use BiaB to "create" - for me it is primarily a rehearsal tool so my 'bone playing can improve... 'cos it certainly needs it smile

But note, that's ME improving, not my "product" being "improved" by a technological cheat.

However, that said, being a great singer isn't the be all and end all. Being a great entertainer IS.

Take Kenny G: lot's of people like to bag him out, his pitching on that soprano from hell is often awful, and his circular breathing party trick gets old pretty quick, but guess what - he ENTERTAINS, and he does it well... AND he doesn't use tech tricks to hide the flaws - you can bet he knows his pitching is often off, hell, soprano saxes are notorious for it, but he doesn't try to hide it, he just entertains.

On the other hand, while I like a pretty girl as much as the next red-blooded bloke, I WILL NOT watch or listen to the likes of, say, a Miley Cyrus. If these girls must descend to stripping and "twerking" on stage to get sales then I can only assume they are otherwise pretty talentless and therefore not worth my listening time.

I would FAR, FAR prefer to listen to, say, Ella Ftizgerald at her worst than these amoral brats at their best.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!