Originally Posted By: Kemmrich

Originally Posted By: lawrie
.. Probably nothing, but it isn't the WRITING that's at issue, it's the PERFORMANCE - I'm with Notes. ..

So after watching the video you agree that Taylor is not a singer at all.
The fact that you guys think that just shows you really haven't taken the time to form an opinion based on fact.

Taylor is 1st, a songwriter, 2nd a performer and 3rd a singer -- and she sings better that anyone on this forum that I can tell.

That ISN'T what I said. I said that the issue being discussed was PERFORMANCE, and the quality of her writing was irrelevant to that. Just not in quite those words.

I don't care either way whether she sings well, adequately, poorly or just plain badly. If she needs Autotune to "sing" a song on key then that's a cheat, BUT singing on key isn't the be all and end all of entertainment.

I mentioned I play trombone - you try keeping one of those suckers properly on pitch. One of my worst enemies is habit, especially when I move from one horn to another. E.G. I'm playing a bass trombone for Phantom of the Opera - this is a new instrument for me and I'm still learning its' quirks, but habit from my primary horn (a small bore tenor) has me playing with less than perfect intonation - I'll get there, but it's taking work.

Believe me, if I couldn't get it right, WITHOUT technological cheats, I wouldn't get these gigs. Oh yeah, EVERYBODY sings better than me - that's why I play trombone!

Speaking of "Phantom of the Opera", our Phantom is being played by Ben Stephens (one of Australia's "Ten Tenors") and he is note PERFECT. Now I know he's a professional, but interestingly "Raoul", "Christine" (2 different women sharing the role) and "Carlotta", all of whom are true amateurs, are also all note perfect, as are most of the rest of the cast. They've worked at it, true, but they've also acheived it, and without technological cheats.

But even if they weren't note perfect, they'd STILL be wonderful entertainers.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!