Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
<snip>
but, art is even way, way more slippery. you will not find any sort of consensus at all on "what is art?".
No argument there smile
<snip>
if you want a top 10 hit then you better get comfortable with AT (and BTW, hate to pop your bubble but you almost certainly are NOT going to see even a top 1000 hit regardless! and to be clear, I am talking to the universal "you"!)
Naahh, but then, I don't expect to even be in the top 1,000,000 smile
on the art side ya just gotta know what is expected. plenty of art judges are looking for perfect pitch and if you are competing in that arena ya better have it! there are also lost of artistic challenges where it is about the whole performance and less about perfect anything.
I think it's reasonable for a "judge" to expect a singer to be on key, but I think that it's reasonable for the same judge to expect that on key singing to be done without electronic modification of pitch.
maybe the public got tired of jazz because it is kinda boring?
Reasonable, I don't like all the kinds of music that is labelled as "Jazz" either, and Jazz is my preferred genre.
I think it may be wrong to blame record companies. They put something out there and watch the sales. If they go up...record company produces more of that. If they go down...record company tried something else! I betcha if someone really tried they could add some jazz to some more contemporary music and bring it back...maybe we could get Mumford & Sons to lay off the banjo for awhile and pick up the trombone? laugh
I'm happy enough to be proven wrong, but I sincerely think that the record companies do indeed dictate tastes by "training" the listening public.

Oh yeah, like the cowbell, there's never enough Trombone laugh laugh laugh

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!