The quality of the sounds of midi drums..... you must be using the default GM wave synth drum sounds. Yeah, they sound really bad and mostly fake.

Real drums in RB or BB is a really nice, quick, acceptable, halfway decent sounding drum track, but.... as you know, it's not all that easy to edit it or to control a certain part of the kit. If the snare is too loud or not loud enough, or the cymbals.... you can try to fix that with EQ, which sometimes works but there are other times where the track is useless if you're looking for a certain something from it and it simply can't deliver.

There are some drum synths, quite a few actually, that hands down, flat out beat real drums quality with one hand tied behind their proverbial backs. Most of them require you to input the notes and fills.

My reason for using the real drums in BB/RB is simple. I'm lazy and it's quick. It also does a decent job. If I wanted to take the time, I could have a better sounding drum kit, but as a songwriter, I'm not looking for a drum track that shows off the drummer's skill..... I'm looking something that keeps the time and fits the groove well and I don't have to spend a bunch of time creating.

It's totally possible to create a Pert style solo, but, to do it, you have to know your synth and more importantly, you have to be able to think like a drummer.

The second best drum synth to me is Jamstix. Everyone has their favorites. I use this on some of my tracks since it has the ability to create a track for me based on my input parameters and then I can edit it after the fact or ask it to recreate a certain section.... very nice piece of kit, but it does take some time to get in there and make those edits. It incorporates over a dozen "famous drummer" playing styles, and dozens of kits..... plus you select a style of music from a long list and then let it create a track for you. Everything in it is editable and I mean everything..... you can tweek the tuning of the drum heads in the kit and change their diameter and depth if you want.....decay, timbre, attack.... everything...plus effects like verb, compression, room ....

I'm no expert on it. I use it at a very shallow level to get what I need. Some of the things the folks who know it and use it create with it are freaking amazing. Go check out the sample tunes made with JS here>> http://www.rayzoon.com/jamstix3.html

That's my 2 cents

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.