Indeed.

Tom: The idea behind 'woodshedding' in practice and in BIAB is to start way (too) slow and gradually build up to the desired (faster) tempo. As an example, let's say I want to be able to play "Unit 7" at 240 bpm. I'd open the tune in BIAB, change the tempo from whatever it currently is set at to one that is slower than I can currently play accurately. Let's say that's 160 bpm. I then go into the practice module, hit woodshed, change the increment to 10 (or 5 if I'm having lots of trouble) and the ending increase to 80. 160 bpm plus 80 bpm = 240 bpm. I then go back to the notation page and highlight the first chorus and hit f10 (repeat section). (BTW, I'm doing this all from memory on a computer than doesn't have BIAB, so please forgive me if I've made mistakes.)BIAB will then start playing that section, in this case the first chorus, at 160 bpm. When BIAB finishes the first chorus @ 160bpm, it immediately starts over on bar 1 @ 170 bpm, if I had chosen to increase by 10 bpm each iteration. This cycle continues until the tempo reaches 240 bpm, at which time the process repeats depending on how you have configured the woodshed algorithm: go up then back to start, or go up and then back down to start.

When doing this, I frequently add an intro of 4 bars to the song, just so I have four measures to hear the beat, as the woodshedding algorithm doesn't have a count-off. Adding 4 measures in the new, faster tempo helps get me into the rhythm.

Again, I apologize for any memory lapses in my description, but I hope this helps you in using the woodshedding part of practice.

Bob