Hi Y'all...

A quick note before I have to go get the turkey out...

A little about how this was done... Joanne sent me the SGU and all of her vocals - 3 takes of the main and 5 harmonies - a high, 2 lows, and 2 generated.

It makes you realize how cool an SGU file actually is... Joanne had done the hard part - setting up the chords properly with part markers in the right places... (and recorded all the vocals). I swapped out all of the instruments from the original. I liked the original - Joanne did a tremendous job on the folk version. I merely had an idea that the same song could be done in this other fashion as well - the lyric and its phonetic cadence suggested something to me...

I listened to various things from the era to pick instruments - 12 string electrics, a busy bass (those guys always wanted to be heard), a busy drum, an organ a tambourine loop... with the intent that everyone would be playing by the end - they were bands, first and foremost...

Joanne's lead vocals were all VERY close to each other. So I chose one and hit it with A Nectar patch - "Rock - 1969". Hit one of the others with a different patch and panned them L & R by 10%... They made a great doubled vocal - a lot of "space". I spread out ALL the harmonies and hit them with "group" patches from Nectar - and made them loud enough to "be evident". It all came together quickly. The vocal sound fit the band sound nicely.

The original song was 85 bpm. The new version worked at that speed, but I decided to see if I could increase it without "losing the vocal" - and I figured that any artifacts would actually "work"... I settled on 100 bpm - the instruments remained stable and the vocal had a tiny bit of effect added - that, again, works for the style...

Joanne deserves a ton of credit for what a cool write this is - and all the up-front work she did...

BIAB (PGMusic) deserves a bunch, too, for making something like this possible (an fairly simple)...

RealTracks in song: 1009:Bass, Electric, HardRockThrash Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~1029:Guitar, 12-String Electric, Fingerpicking Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~1032:Guitar, 12-String Electric, Strumming Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~689:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 085
RealDrums in Song: PopAmericanEv^6-a:SdStkBB4, b:SnrBB
Tambourine Loop 132bpm