Whenever anybody posts a hard hitting thing like I did is going to get hammered which is why I rarely do it. I tend to get on a roll and then start to ramble and lose my edge a little. Whatever, don't take anything I say personally.

One thing to keep in mind is I'm just like everybody else here. A more less talented hobbyist at this point. I forgot to include that when I had my eyes blown wide open in the studio in Richmond that band broke up because we found out the hard way our writing sucked and we didn't want to call the agent and go back on the road for another several years which we could have easily done. I knew then I didn't have the chops to try to continue with music as a career.

I completely understand that turning Dan's point into a discourse about the music business looks at first glance like it's two separate things. It isn't because he's talking about being told by what sounds like a pro that his technique, the way he's set up his guitar and other things isn't cutting it and he's bummed out about it. He apparently thought he was better than he was. Well, that's exactly how I felt in 1974 and a few months of observing plus recording some demo's and jingles in that studio showed me where I ranked too. Nowhere. I freely admit it was a bitter pill. I thought I was a pro, one of the inner circle you know? I was on a studio produced album and several singles. Pfffft. Since then I've met dozens of guys out of the same era who did basically the same thing I did and got nowhere too and came to the same realization.

There's real pros and there's everybody else. Of course that's a generalization and there's exceptions but basically that's it.

Like Clint famously said "A man's gotta know his limitations". Only then can you realistically move on with your life.

Don't get discouraged and don't get upset just do what you can to the best of your abilities and have fun. My biggest takeaway is this: Music is good for the soul and I'll keep doing gigs and playing with Biab until I can't walk out the door any more because I love it. Simple as that but I have no illusions as to how good I really am.

Another little story. A good friend and pianist who's now gone is Eddie Greeley. His father was George Greeley who orchestrated lots of famous movies from the 30's and 40's. Eddie graduated from the UCLA music school.

We were talking about how deceptively simple little licks and phrases we all hear on records can trip up average players. We think hey I can do that Jerry Lee Lewis piano lick or Chuck Berry guitar thing or that little Beach Boys hook or whatever. The truth is the producer in the studio brought in an absolute killer to do those parts if the band member wasn't strong enough.

The guy was a monster who can do those little things just perfect with the perfect touch, timing, tone everything and do it effortlessly in one take. A real pro. Eddie used to say don't be fooled by that and think you're that good. How many times have we heard a recording of ourselves doing one of those seemingly simple licks and it just doesn't sound right?

And Dan, I really admire you for doing what you did. Like I said, it ain't easy realizing you're somewhat less that you thought you were. Just take it in stride, try to improve and move on.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.