Originally Posted By: PeterGannon

My understanding is that each 32 bit app gets it's own separate space, and for practical purposes, it is 2GB of space. If necessary a 32 bit app can get more than that, using some tricks. Band-in-a-Box currently doesn't come close to needing the 2GB.

It is discussed further here...

http://www.brianmadden.com/blogs/brianmadden/archive/2004/02/19/the-4gb-windows-memory-limit-what-does-it-really-mean.aspx
"In the 32-bit Windows world, each application has its own “virtual” 4GB memory space. (This means that each application functions as if it has a flat 4GB of memory, and the system's memory manager keeps track of memory mapping, which applications are using which memory, page file management, and so on.)

This 4GB space is evenly divided into two parts, with 2GB dedicated for kernel usage, and 2GB left for application usage. Each application gets its own 2GB, but all applications have to share the same 2GB kernel space."

Peter are you absolutely certain about these facts? For a start I think that Windows used 1.3 gig approx., not 2. I am also very suspicious that 'each app gets its own 2 gig' is not exactly as it seems. I have always heard that 1.7 gig is the max with 32 bit architecture.

Another Reason to design in 64 bit: If there is going to be a future development of BIAB (beyond surface tweaks) , why do this in 32 bit? If, at some point in the future 64 bit coming (sometime, someway - like the song) better to develop in 64 bit sooner. Unless your thinking 64 bit is not the future, or we will never need it.

I would want to see a slick and powerful presence of "Son of BIAB" flexing its muscles in the big boys world, showing its impact as a VST/DXI. Your way ahead of the market in so many ways - check out Cubase 8's 'chord pads' trumpeted as a big feature - it's a toy in comparison with Band in a Box, but some of the visual ways it uses to display chord options are way ahead of you. There are so many potential uses in these pro sequencer pools that you are simply not reaching - good users, long term, dedicated, knowledgeable.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/start.html check out the Chord Pads video

Its not infeasible that 32 bit may go the way of 16 bit.. we get these surprising leaps sometimes.

I always had trouble with my 32 bit sequencer, on ten or so different PC's as soon as I loaded orchestral stuff. Then, as soon as 64 bit came along, everything stopped stuttering and just works. Simple.

Z

Last edited by ZeroZero; 12/14/14 11:39 PM.

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k