Originally Posted By: jazzerjbird
Thanks rharv for info.

Here is what I have done so far to boost the volume in RB:

(1) Set the Windows audio settings and PC speaker levels to max.

(2) In RB mix window, I push all the track volume sliders, "ALL" master volume slider, the right side FX sliders to top position.

There are no more volume sliders to push to maximum, the output volume is still low, and the volume indicators hover around -12dB, which is half of Biab's 0dB.

So I now import the .SEQ into Magix Studio, in the Mix window I push the track and the master volume sliders to reach about 0dB, then export to an MP3 file...good volume! I don't need Magix Studio if I can only boost the volume to about 0dB in RB, like in Biab where I can adjust the desired volume... sigh....

I tend to think that this is a 'programming deficiency' in RB, since we don't have this problem in Biab!

DO NOT worry about the volume levels in the mixing stages. It's a common mistake many folks make, wanting the volume to be up.... However, the important part in mixing, is to get the mix and the EQ right..... make it sound good.

You can ALWAYS, ALWAYS use audio tools after the fact, in 3rd party editors and mastering suites to get the volume up.

My process involves getting the mix right and sonically solid. Then I export the song and load it into a 3rd party audio editor. It's there that I urge the last little bit of gain out of the mix track.

I look at each of the tools I have and realize that they all have a purpose and a job that they do exceptionally well. I use each one in the area of it's strength. As a result, I have one song, that is acoustic in nature, that folks have commented that it was louder than some of the rocker tunes on the same forum site, but it was also crystal clear. They were asking how I managed that task. It might have been the song SAD GOODBYE on my website.... but I'm not 100% sure since it was years ago.

The point is you can always get the volume up... but be sure you are working with a balanced mix. Get that done first...worry later with the levels.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 12/19/14 02:52 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.