Joe, do you have a preference for the sound of the instrument? If so, then choose the one you like better!

I have a mandolin and several ukuleles and while I enjoy them a lot I find it harder to get quality sound from them than from guitar or banjo. And the small size also can make them hard to play well if you have large hands.

Now the banjo, on the other hand, well I'll never ever be without one! Someone mentioned clawhammer and Scruggs (which both require a 5-string banjo BTW) but those are not the only ways to play a banjo! I am a decent clawhammer player and a horrible Scruggs style player but a couple of years ago I started fingerpicking (without picks) my banjo. I have several patterns I use and all you need to do to start is 1) learn some chords and 2) learn one or two basic fingerpicking patterns!

And because a banjo has a longer neck as compared to a mando, you can capo to match your singing voice and use it as a nice accompaniment instrument for acoustic sets. Whenever I play solo acoustic I always bring the guitar and the banjo. Let's me mix it up a little!

Oh and another way to play banjo is to strum it with your fingers or a plectrum. Get a New Orleans sound going even on your 5-string banjo! I have a song I wrote last year that uses fingerpicked banjo panned left and a strummed banjo panned right and it makes for a very nice combination!

Oh and one other option is to play your banjo like you would a guitar using a plectrum and picking melodies.

If you do not have a banjo yet I recommend a Deering Goodtime open back 5-string banjo for about $350! I bought mine a couple years ago and have been just thrilled with how good it sounds and how easy it is to play! And just in case you are wondering whether this banjo would be good enough for pro use check out Mean Mary burning hers up! http://youtu.be/ofAQtE7zHe0