Originally Posted By: Lloyd S

Sooooo, let me think "out loud" for a minute.

I consider myself a musician: I can adequately play a few instruments, and similarly carry a tune vocally. I am somewhat proficient at BIAB.

Let's say I have composed a half dozen songs using BIAB entirely, and "released" them to the pubic. They are, by anyone's standard, "adequate".

Along comes an accomplished DJ, likes my songs, takes them to a "gig" where there is a multitude of people, and proceeds to "mix" them, lining up the "spikes" or whatever they do, and the crowd goes wild.

Who is more of a musician, me or the DJ?
Without my input, he wouldn't have a "hit" on his hand. Without his mixing talent, my songs are destined for obscurity, sitting on a website somewhere.

My expertise came from my knowledge of music and BIAB, his came from his knowledge of mixing and knowing what the crowd might enjoy.

He may not know a guitar from a sitar but is he any less a "person who makes music" than I?

LLOYD S

Artist Mayer Hawthorne is a fitting example of your point. His desire and work output was toward becoming a top hip-hop DJ. To avoid paying royalties for commercial loops and songs, he began recording his own versions of 'sound like' Motown and Soul music songs. When he relocated to LA to advance his hip-hop career and auditioned, studio executives were impressed with his original recordings and convinced him to release an album of his original songs as a singer/songwriter rather than pursue a career as a hip-hop DJ.

"Who is more of a musician, me or the DJ?" You are. I think there is a difference between creating a sound with an instrument and manipulating/operating a radio.
I think playing an instrument is creating/copying musical sound at the source (instrument) whereas mixing existing loops, songs, phrases and sound effects is arranging.

With the advent of software like BIAB, today, a person with absolutely no musical talent, knowledge or training can manufacturer original or cover authentic music created with real instruments by real musicians. I am of the opinion this person is not a musician, merely an arranger of existing content. Has a unique musical piece been created? Absolutely. However, this person, who may cannot play any instrument, carry a tune, have no knowledge of music theory, scales, chord progressions or any manner of anything one would normally regard a musician to know, can locate lyrics and chords on line or from books and copy them into BIAB, choose or create a style they like and the software will generate a complete backing track based of their arrangement. No musical skill necessary and no musician in the room. Elvis has left the building if you will.

Last edited by c_fogle; 12/28/14 07:07 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.