It's part of the language now? Not if you look in the dictionary.

And when you abuse the language like that, you hinder communication.

My previous example of "Awesome". If your new shoe laces are "awesome" what word will you use if you see something really awe inspiring?

If you do see something truly awesome and use that word, you are comparing the truly awesome to shoe laces.

Example: So if you see a guitarist play the entire 7th symphony from Shostakovitch on an acoustic guitar without missing or leaving out a note, and you say, "Man, that was awesome" you are saying that was just as good as a pair of shoe laces.

A DJ is a DJ, a musician is a musician. If we call the DJ a musician, pretty soon anyone who plays an mp3 file, or sticks a CD into a changer becomes a musician.

There is a difference between a DJ and a musician. An accomplished musician is someone who plays an instrument that can read sheet music. Stick the music for something as simple as "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" in front of the DJ and the most accomplished DJ in the world can not play it unless he buys a recording that someone else has played.

So if we call DJs musicians, how do we differentiate between the person who cannot play "On Top Of Old Smokey" or "Fur Elise" or "Symphony #9: From The New World" or "Louie Louie"?????????

No, calling DJ's musicians is as wrong as calling a musician a DJ. There is a difference and it abuses the language to call the DJ a musician.

I know language evolves, and I'm certainly not opposed to new words and the growth of language. What I am against is the kind of abuse that hinders communication.

Aspirin reduces muscle pain. So does ibuprofen. If you call them both aspirin, and someone has a fatal allergy to ibuprofen, how does that person choose the product that will save his/her life from the product that will get rid of his/her aching biceps?

No, a DJ is not a musician. A DJ is someone who plays recordings and may accompany them with sounds from his/her equipment.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks