Carolyne,

A dynamic singer sings like a violinist or great guitarist plays and every single note should NOT be perfect or it will sound unhuman and suck the soul out of your voice. Even the tutorials from the maker of Melodyne tell you to always trust your EARS more than your eyes.

Melodyne is great but it has trouble with dynamic singers. It is tedious to use on vocals for singers like me, you and Janice (if anyone ever wished to use it on her) because the three of us "play" our voices like an instrument depending on the song and style we're doing.

Big labels hire people specifically to pitch correct so that the singer's character is not affected. I have researched this subject extensively and I use Melodyne essentials but not on everything. So I'm not against it but just an fyi. If you are not careful you will end up with a bunch of sharp notes in your phrasing.

In fact, based on a little experiment I did once. I think it's so easy to misuse Melodyne on vocals that people have become used to hearing sharp to the point they can't tell as much as they think they can.

When you run a solo guitar part through Melodyne it's fascinating how many "off" notes you will SEE by the top players that sound great on the track. It's all about EARS not eyes.

For best results use it with a DAW where you can hear both the track you are fixing and the backing music at the same time. Watch the tutorials and learn to split the notes instead of moving the first blobs you see. Stay away from auto correct.

Hope that helps you.

Josie