Oh, such a warm reception! I think I'm going to like it here. Thank you all for the nice replies! blush

I have been researching some more and I have given up on the Tascam mixer/recorder because I don't think it will be good enough for my plans to take over the world. And I have given up on the Zoom R16 portastudio because I think it's too expensive.

I am now trying to decide whether buying a mixing board is going to be a good idea.

While I was reading Guitarhacker's thorough and helpful reply, two things he said stood out in my head:

1) don't buy a mixing board
2) you're *really* going to need an audio interface

Hmmm... I've been queasy about buying an audio interface because I think it's pricey for the little it does. And probably because I don't really understand its purpose. So now I have a couple of additional questions. The first one is stupid, but I'm not afraid to ask:

I have a handheld recorder on a tripod. I place it on the desk, connected to the computer's mic input (the pink jack). My headphones are connected to the computer's audio output (green jack). I launch Audacity or Ardour and press the Record button on the recorder and... I can monitor it! With Bionic Woman grade super hearing, no less. grin And when I press the Record button on Audacity, it records my environment (yours truly speaking or singing), on top of any other sounds I may have playing on the computer, and I can record both, so I can already mix two inputs with that cheap rigging. MacGyver would be proud.

How is an audio interface different or better than that?

I said it was a stupid question. frown

Besides, my biggest problem right now is merging inputs. Look at this diagram of a Behringer audio interface (it's a VERY popular brand where I live, that's why I keep bringing it up):

Audio out: I already have that, on headphones. And now it goes into the interface.

Speakers: I don't need that, I prefer headphones so I don't upset my neighbors. So the interface's output will have no use, I guess.

Headphones: I already have that, straight from the computer.

USB in: mmmkay... but why? I'm not getting any benefit from it. I still can't mix and monitor multiple inputs.

I should probably get an audio interface with more inputs then, but yikes, those are really expensive, aren't they. Really discouraging. I could buy another computer with that kind of money. Or a decent 61-key Akai MIDI controller. Or a mixing board, which can mix multiple inputs and perhaps do other things, like... be an audio interface!

I hope my next question is not so stupid... This is the mixing board that I find most attractive so far:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/Q1202USB.aspx

Would that solve my conundrum? Assuming I don't understand what an audio interface is good for and you know I don't but I promise I will, would that mixing-board-slash-audio-interface do the job? Wouldn't that also let me have plenty of (12 as advertised) simultaneous inputs, not to mention save me plenty of money to buy a lava lamp?

I'm still open to other ideas, please. I really appreciate it.