Originally Posted By: 90 dB
If I were you, I wouldn't buy anything until I had done a lot of reading and had come to a basic understanding of how audio gear works.

Google is your friend.

Regards,

Bob

ABSOLUTELY!!! Read that again....

Quote:
While I was reading Guitarhacker's thorough and helpful reply, two things he said stood out in my head:

1) don't buy a mixing board
2) you're *really* going to need an audio interface

Hmmm... I've been queasy about buying an audio interface because I think it's pricey for the little it does. And probably because I don't really understand its purpose.

You need to understand what an audio interface does before you spend a dime on anything.

Essentially, the sound card in your computer is not your friend when it comes to home recording. The audio interface solves that issue. HOWEVER, not all audio interfaces are worthy of the name. Some are junk. Some will make your recording experience effortless..... you gotta know what you're buying.

I am not now, nor have I ever been an advocate of using any of the multi-function hybrid gizmo's that combine an interface with ANYTHING else. They tend to be proprietary in nature and end up being "one-trick-ponies" as the saying goes.

Your interface doesn't just do "a little" bit of something or other.....It is going to be the heart of your studio system. It does a great deal. It allows everything to work properly and in a timely manner, so while it may seem a bit costly, don't be afraid to spend the money to get something good, something that will last you many years and do the job you require of it. I've had my Saffire now through 2 computers and somewhere around 8+ years of recording service. I never regretted buying it. At the time, IIRC, it was around $300.

And yup... you DO NOT need a mixer if the interface has pre-amps in it. I said it before, but I'll reiterate it here..... I do not use a mixer and haven't had one in my studio for many years. I've used them in the past and when I got my interface, I was using one in the same capacity I always used a mixer..... but the sound was distorted. I pulled the Korg D-1600 mixer/recorder out of the signal path and my mic was crystal. I listed the D-1600 on ebay that same day and sold it. I have not looked back since.

Unless you want to have a mixer for looks, to impress your friends, and to see knobs and blinking lights.... nope... you don't need one.

And one last thing... the single most important piece of gear you can purchase for your home studio....

Spare no expense on this item because without it, mixes lose their luster and drive, guitars sound flat and weak, vocalists sing sharp..... and life just isn't quite the same.....

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/25/15 08:39 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.