Well, I've researched and found the answer to my own question.

Yes, most audio interfaces require proprietary drivers and will NOT work with Linux. That sucks.

But I researched more, a lot more, and found that there are a few cards that work well with Linux, so not all is lost. I've been shopping, choosing and now I have a new temporary decision to entertain for some time. I still have to read more.

I am currently considering these options:

I found others, but all of them are way too expensive, like the Saffire 40 or some 18-input monster that I definitely cannot afford. I think I'll buy the Omega. What do you think?

I completely gave up on the mixing board, and I'll tell you why for the benefit of any googlenaut who might end up here and read this thread in search of self education.

I found some pretty honest opinion on Amazon and found that the USB audio interface on the Behringer mixing boards can be quite disappointing. For example, the board has 8 or 12 inputs, but I'd only get two 16-bit channels on USB: left and right. And it can't be routed anywhere else on the board. Meh. That's lame. frown

Besides, I found quite a few reports of units that broke after just a few weeks of use or even units that were already dead on arrival. Well, actually, I met a guy in a bar two weeks ago who was singing and playing his guitar with a Behringer. He said it was brand new and he was very happy with it, except that the effects were not working, but he had to play that night so he would have it serviced after the weekend. I thought that maybe he just had bought a lemon, but after reading all those complaints, I decided I shouldn't bet my money on that brand.