Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
If you're using a Linu x based OS on your computer.... the best bet is to buy a dedicated WINDOWS computer for your musical projects.

Plus Lucm states: "Those Tascam mini studios seem to be very good indeed, but they're a bit expensive where I live, and my focus has changed a lot since the beginning of this thread. Now I realize that Guitarhacker is absolutely right, I should get an audio interface and focus entirely on the 21st century, home recording approach.

I just can't get over the price tag on these things. mad "

Originally Posted By: 90 dB
If I were you, I wouldn't buy anything until I had done a lot of reading and had come to a basic understanding of how audio gear works.

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Recording-For-Musicians-Revised/dp/0825615003

Google is your friend.

Regards,

Bob

Even a moderate priced Windows PC and audio interface will easily cost more than a stand alone Multi-track recorder. No linux OS worries, no asio worries, no latency worries. The multi-track will always have enough memory, power and proper drivers to do any task asked of it because it is designed by Tascam to do so. Firmware can be updated, storage is endless with SD cards and the operation learning curve is much less than any PC software DAW,DXi/VST combo.

Tascam's preamps and a/d-d/a converters are on par with the other manufacturer's interface offerings and the unit is designed with enough horsepower to handle full capacity of its use without a hiccup.

I don't think you can put together a retail combination of a new windows PC, 8 channel audio interface and audio software package at a comparable cost to a MTR. Plus in the time it would take to set up the new computer, connect the interface, install the drivers, install the software and troubleshoot getting everything to work together, Lucm could have several songs recorded on the MTR.

Is it Protools? No - but its audio files will work with Protools, Garageband, Cubase, Avid, Studio One, Sonar or any other wav compatible software.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.