Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Quote:
Even a moderate priced Windows PC and audio interface will easily cost more than a stand alone Multi-track recorder.

That's possible, I haven't looked at the all in one multi-tracks recently. I remember the one I had .... editing was a real PITA....

I'd say save the money until you have enough to buy a Windows computer and an interface. Software for the DAW is available for $20 so that's the least of the cost.... editing on a software windows based DAW is so easy to do....

I agree Herb. Purchase wise, Lucm has received more than enough advice to make at least an 'informed' choice to address needs and wants. Dollar wise, there is also the option of buying used and slightly outdated PC gear. Investment wise and time wise, for the cost of a Presonus or Focusrite 8 channel interface, with an MTR, Lucm is up and going.

For me, saving money for a wishlist item has never worked well. Life has always had a way of sucking the life out of a savings account. One car repair, broken water pipe and even a new dream can magically cause $$$$ to disappear.

Not knowing the MTR you've had experience with, how long ago, the price bracket or even how long you stuck with it before jumping to a PC DAW, it's hard to judge how much a PITA you had. Remember splicing/editing real tape from the pre-digital days? Not only a PITA but some pressure because of the destructive nature of the task.

I agree that even today some of the lower price range units are somewhat difficult to maneuver around in menu's to find and execute even simple tasks but not so with higher end units, in particular, the Tascam DP-24/32 models. Their channel strip/Fx section functions in the same fashion as a Presonus Studiolive digital mixer board's Fat Channel'. Recording is a breeze and if one has even the most rudimentary knowledge of playing live with a mixer, they can set up and record with a DP-24/32/2488 or comparable Korg, Roland or Yamaha MTR without ever reading the manual.

Editing on the Tascam is both intuitive and easy. Copy/Paste/Cut/Move/insert/delete and auto-punch-in are all set up and selected in the same manner and the user simply has to know which operation he wants to perform. Three buttons to press at the most. (From),(To) and (here) if moving the selection is necessary. Many functions, including setting markers, punch-in's (auto or manual), record, play and stop can be done with a foot switch and/or midi control.

If you're still missing your DAW at this point, simply connect the MTR USB to your PC and your DAW will see the MTR as a drive and it's files will be available to the advanced features of the DAW. Alternately, if you have finished with the MTR, simply unplug the SD card and insert that into your PC.

My Tascam DP-24 is an integral part of my home studio and functions as a 'detachable' front end to my DAW. It is just as accessible to my DAW and all its features as my Presonus USB interfaces. I have immediate access to record up to 8 simultaneous inputs without any additional setup on my PC of drivers, asio/mme or soundcard issues and I don't have to mess with buffer size, or any of that. It offers zero latency since there is no direct connection to the DAW.

I would suggest to anyone looking to increase their recording channel count when upgrading their home studio to consider a MTR because it offers a lot of additional benefits for the comparable cost of an 8 channel audio interface.

Last edited by c_fogle; 03/29/15 04:38 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.