Originally Posted By: musiclover
Thanks for the link on those mics Herb I will certainly keep them in mind.

I know you will probably smile but in the meantime I have bought this one from ebay,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Record-Condenser-Dynamic-Microphone-Mic-Sound-Studio-Recording-Shock-Mount-/261808200150?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cf4fc19d6

Got it a few days ago and to be honest I was pleasantly surprised how good it seems and how well it is made (though I am a total novice as regards condenser mics)

It really does bring up the level in vocals and has a better high end than the old cheap shure. The phantom power works fine as well from my fast track pro with it.

We'll see how things goes It really does seem a lot better than the AKG I returned to amazon at almost four times the price.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.
Musiclover

Just curious if you used the cord that's shown in the pics or if you used an XLR cable with it?

No problems from me about using an inexpensive condenser mic. Lots of folks use them and if they sound good, who cares what you paid. Lots of the condenser capsules are being made in China where they can be made and sold for very little cost and still have a relatively decent quality.

I recalled a certain brand and model being very popular several years back on the Cakewalk forums and the cost was under $50. Quite a few people had them and raved about the sound quality.

I'm just glad to see it wasn't a USB condenser mic.

Good deal!!

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 04/02/15 04:33 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.