Since I use external synths, the hardware I bought for my Atari, PC-DOS5, and Motorola Mac still work on 8.1 - generic MIDI drivers do the trick.

Some antiquated programs no longer work, like the Windows 3.1 version of Master Tracks Pro (which I prefer over the newer one - but I get along with the new version OK) and my Microsoft Publisher XP asks me to approve the license every month or so, but otherwise works fine.

I generally don't upgrade the OS on an existing computer though, but get the newest, latest, and greatest OS whenever I buy a new one. That gives me the longest 'shelf life'.

Since I buy ThinkPad computers exclusively, shelf life of an OS is important. I'm still using a 2002 ThinkPad on stage, running 3-4 hours a night, bouncing around in the van, changing temperatures constantly, and running like a top.

BTW, the computers on the Space Station that regulate the life support systems (oxygen, water, etc.) are ThinkPads - they are built like tanks.

When Win10 comes out, it will probably be the first time I upgrade on an existing computer. I'll make a disk image of my hard drive, perhaps even clone another drive so that I can have a fail-safe if things don't work properly.

People always complain when a new OS comes out. When Win95 came out, people complained. When WinXP came out, people all over the Internet were screaming "Keep your Win98SE because XP sucks", and people are still angry with MS for Win8. A lot of people just don't like change - and while I admit, change just for change sake is unnecessary, and a PITA, once you get used to the changes, you can reap the advantages.

Same thing happens with instruments.

The Selmer Mark VI saxophone was a great horn in its day, and the Mark VII was not quite as good. But the newest saxes coming out of Taiwan have better intonation, great tone, and will last much longer. Still there are thousands who worship the Mark VI as if it was the the holy grail. My new MacSax is a much better sax than my old MarkVI was.

Same thing with wind controllers. The WX7 was Yamaha's first. The WX5 is much better but there are those who worship the WX7 (I've had both, and the 5 is easier to play, has more essential features for expressive playing, and goes many more years between failures).

My new Parker DF524NN is a much better guitar than those PRE-CBS Stratocasters. It stays in tune, often even from one gig to the next, has a better neck, hardened stainless steel frets, better pickups, and a three way trem that can float - plus a piezo under the bridge that can be mixed with the mag pickups.

Older is not always better, but there will always be those who like old for the sake of old.

On the other hand, sometimes older things are better (newer isn't always better). The trick is to use whatever is best.

Bob

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks