3 Rs. smile.
Thank you for your responses gentlemen!
Yes that is certainly correct. I've gone through a dozen discs back and forth to various listening devices. I just get to the point where I don't trust my ears and want to fine tune things probably beyond necessity. Another problem I am having in that area, which should probably be another post, is consistency with the Eq. I don't know if my Roland ds90 monitors are the culprit but once I get the CD to the car it sounds really really bottom heavy. along with the ears I'm wondering if a spectrum analyzer might let me see where the bass levels should be. It's easier with a real tracks next, I can just go back and drop the bass level a tad. but a pre-recorded track might need to have the bass squashed a little.
Again it comes down to trusting my own ears. Most commercial CDs are a lot lighter on the bottom than mine, but not always.

I'm just making this particular project for fun, no intention of selling it so I'm loathe to spend the money on professional mastering. Plus it's a learning experience. Thanks again fellows!

WSS