Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Nice, Noel!

I really like how "celebratory" this is in the choruses. Yet another point of view... super.

"He's an African rhino
An African rhino
Running wild and free
So awesome to see
Full of majesty"

There's so much LIFE in that.

The piano fits the lyric so nicely. Hard work or luck? Nice.
The mix is excellent through out. As is your vocal.

Well done.

floyd

Hey floyd,

I very clearly remember that after reading your post that I had the BEST day! Was that coincidence? I guess I'll never know. Thanks for taking time to have a listen and to post your thoughts. I appreciate it.

The piano was a good fit right from the start. I did give it a helping hand, though.

This is how I go about things...

When I write my songs, I use BIAB exclusively. During the formulating of words, music and chord progression, I regenerate the song about every third or fourth time through. The end result is that I regenerate the tracks heaps (probably 100+ times) before leaving BIAB. Every now and then, a spectacular section of generation occurs in one of the tracks (this is why I regenerate so often). When that happens, I set pan to centre, reverb to zero and I save the individual track(s) with the bar number information. For example, "Piano 2024 - bar 46.wav". This then makes it very easy for me to retrieve the section of track I want to test-run in the final mix (in my DAW). I also use Multiriff in Realband to generate 7 different versions of the important tracks.

When I eventually move to my DAW, I load in the multiriff generations as well as the individually saved generations. I use these to begin compiling a final track. I always write my song's melody in BIAB and I listen to each track generation in its entirety against this melody. At this point, I'm looking for little breaks/riffs that fill in around the melody. If I'm lucky and find something that has a musical hook feel, I copy it and paste it into like regions of the chord progression. For example, if you listen to 0:18 and then 1:18 in "African Rhino", you'll hear the same piano playing. This is just one example of a few instances in the song.

Sooner or later, I get a compiled track that I'm happy with and that works with the melody. I then record multiple vocals and, in a similar manner, compile a vocal track. When that's accomplished, I use volume shaping on individual tracks to highlight instrumentals or vocals.

At this point, I then discard the multiple tracks that I no longer need and save the file with a new file name in another folder. (The previous version of the mix then becomes a backup.)

... that's the long answer.

The short answer... "a bit of both" smile

Once again, thanks for dropping in.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024