Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Originally Posted By: Sundance
I love the analogy. Now I know without any doubt I'll get flack for saying this and people will line up to disagree with my opinion which is why I probably should keep it to myself.

Verse two sings best for this genre. Verse one and three lyrics sound forced for the singer in spots and could benefit from some smoothing out to make it a great traditional blues song as opposed to a good one. It's fine as it is and I love the analogy. I wouldn't bother facing the retaliation I'll get if I didn't think the overall write was a good one.

The arrangement and production are spot on and Janice is in her element.

hi Josie... Thanks for the review. I've listened a number of times with your comments in mind. I don't see it. Blues is, of course, very much an interpreters genre...and Janice sang this -phrasing-wise similar to the way I would do myself...with the exception of the "promise line"...but I don't have a problem with her choice...

If you would be interested, I'd be happy to send the track to you for you to do a version the way you hear it...would make for an interesting thread...

Hi FJ,

I feel like Nixon so "let me make myself perfectly clear" in what I meant by what I was saying since unfortunately you and maybe some others are reading things into my comments that I wasn't thinking when I wrote them.

"Verse two sings best for this genre" - I didn't say JANICE SINGS verse two best because I'm using "sings" as a songwriting term and talking about the lyrics melody flow NOT Janice's performance - "verse one and three lyrics sound forced for the singer in spots" - still talking about the lyrics and melody flow since it is an AAA structure song. "It's fine as it is and I love the analogy" - my suggestion was only for polish on an already good song. "The arrangement and production are spot on and Janice is in her element." - Should be obvious but if not it's a big compliment from me to both of you.

So I appreciate your generous offer but I don't see the point of me doing your song. if I did a version, I'd have to rewrite the lyrics, rewrite the melody and change the structure to a different genre - then it wouldn't be your song anymore. I was suggesting a little optional final polish on the song - not on Janice. Like I said, Janice is in her element. This genre is not mine by choice. She loves it. We're both musical fruit but apples and oranges as far as taste/style.

And I'm totally cool with you not seeing the need for any changes. As I said, the song is fine as it is. No ego trip here. I realize any suggestion I make is based on my opinion and by no means the end all.

I'll admit to you and everyone else that I am gun shy about making suggestions on here. I don't want what I'm trying to say to be misunderstood as in this case because I didn't type it out clearly enough. And I don't want to offend someone by saying the "wrong" thing to the "wrong" person.

As the producer of the Coca Cola Tru Value Hardware Country Showdown for a 100,000 FM station for three seasons, I was in charge of everything pertaining to the show including picking the talent and celebrity judges. And that level of stress was much easier than I find navigating music forum land. grin

Best to you,