Originally Posted By: floyd jane

I will address a couple of things - not as "defense" but as "explanation" - how and why I write as I do - we all have different "styles" shaped by our experience..

I wasn't trying to stir anything up... honest, guv'ner! smile

Given the level of craft that goes into your songs, I had figured that you'd made these decisions deliberately. That it didn't work for me is my loss.

This is basically a "list song". The fact that she will "never fall in love again" is intentionally "one more thing" in the list. Like taking down pictures, her name from the mailbox, filling another box...

Interesting... I didn't really hear it that way, mostly because all the other things were physical actions. I figured that you were simply not "connection the dots" for the reasons that you mentioned below.

Leaving that to the listeners allows the listener to assign THEIR reasoning, from their experiences - which will tend to make that reasoning strong for them (for most, obviously not all).

Yeah, that's one of those key things about songwriting: removing details so that it's open to a wider range of interpretation.

Anyway, thanks for taking my criticism in the spirit it was intended. It's always good the hear your songs - and I always seem to take away something more about the craft of songwriting. laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?