Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

My take on that is that a guy with backing tracks isn't competing for the same gigs as the full band. They're really two completely different entertainment options.

These are 4 piece bands playing with tracks. Usually guitar, bass, drums and a front singer and the music is half prerecorded. They play 200 seat rooms, not 40 seat wineries. They ARE taking gigs from full bands because they consider themselves to be a full band.

I have to concede this... I've never seen that fish, but I believe you when you say it exists.

I'd also have to say that if I could find a 4 piece band that was willing to play along with my tracks, I'd probably jump on that bandwagon before they changed their minds. And here's why:

in making my own tracks, I find that MOST songs have about 8 tracks... some have wayyyy more parts.. upwards to 24. I would not want a phone that dropped out all but 4 out of every 24 words... and likewise, I don't like to hear a song that I know has 24 parts being condensed down to 3 parts and a vocalist.

I also don't like the alternative of hearing bands settle for only songs that have 3 parts because that's what they can duplicate. I get bored quickly.

Trax keep the sound interesting, and more people on stage would keep the visuals interesting. It may just be my hobby, but I'd LOVE to watch a 4 piece band that uses trax, just to see how well they pull it off!

But that's just me.. I realize that personal taste runs in a lot of different directions, and ALL of them are valid.