Hi Bob,

I agree with what you said.

I have never met anyone who told me learning music theory caused them to be less of a musician.

Theory, like all tools has it's place and value. Theory being more or less logical and lending it self to being expressed in math terms can be expressed in computer algorithm.

One may not think about this very consciously, but all of these operations performed by any computer consist of algorithms. An algorithm is a well-defined procedure that allows a computer to solve a problem. Another way to describe an algorithm is a sequence of unambiguous instructions.

Having said all that, I find purely computer generated music well, not very musical.

So...I think "great music" and "great musicians" use every tool they can lay their hands on using good judgement and balance in there use.

One could ride a horse to work this morning. I love horses, but I think I will drive my car today. I also have learned to read, a skill I find useful in understanding street signs among other things...

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 10/06/15 04:19 AM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo