Lingyai,

There is another approach to the issue of hearing a composition as intended without having to switch back and forth between programs: ReWire. Following are the beginning paragraphs of the linked Wiki entry.

"ReWire is a software protocol, jointly developed by Propellerhead and Steinberg, allowing remote control and data transfer among digital audio editing and related software. Originally appearing in the ReBirth software synthesizer in 1998, the protocol has since evolved into an industry standard.

"Currently used in Mac OS and Microsoft Windows 32-bit or 64-bit audio applications, ReWire enables the simultaneous transfer of up to 256 audio tracks of arbitrary resolution and 4080 channels of MIDI data. This allows, for example, the output from synthesizer software to be fed directly into a linear editor without the use of intermediate files or analog transfers. There are also provisions to remotely trigger actions, such as starting and stopping recording."

I have successfully used ReWire to link Steinberg's Nuendo DAW and Propellerhead Reason 3, which was then only a soft synth and effects suite, before it became a true DAW in its own right. Most major digital audio software incorporates ReWire, but not PG Music products. I and others have been requesting it for many years, believing it to be the solution to many issues.

I urge you to read the linked Wiki piece and consider whether it might address your needs.

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."