I got a phone call this morning after a text last weekend clearing the time. It was my son, Richard III, from whom I have not heard in 10 years.

I have never known why he broke contact, and I did not ask today. We simply picked up as if time and events had never intervened. We talked for an hour and a half and have been texting back and forth since.

I did ask why he chose to reconnect. The fact that he did so was an answer to prayer, but the reason he gave matched the exact prayer I used. I had hoped for a change of heart rather than some sense of duty or guilt, and the change happened. Sometimes I have trouble remembering that prayer works.

Then we just talked, about jobs, relationships, cabbages, kings, and—music. In 1998 I gave him a really nice Squier Strat and Fender amp, after which I gave lessons (personally—I used to do that). In a few weeks we were playing together. We had sporadic contact for several years after a nasty divorce, and then nothing.

Today he has an interest in playing metal and listening to jazz(!), and often goes to hear live music. In fact, he just took delivery on a custom Dunable Yarnhawk, which he has tuned to low B. I asked whether it was a seven string. He said no, but it "really crunches" in low registers. O heart, be still! This is really cool.

My wife, brother, sister, and mother know about this. I wanted to share it with you next. Some of you will appreciate it because of difficulties you have been through, others know something of mine. I don't know of anyone who could be more blessed than I, but I wish all of this and more on all of you.

Thanks for reading, and Merry Christmas,

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."