Dear Anyone.

Saw soundfonts being talked about on this forum so I'm hoping SOMEONE will be able to answer this dumbass noob question...

I have the Cakewalk (I think!) SFz+ Soundfont Player and a ton of Soundfonts. But there's something I don't understand about the SFz+ Player and I know I'm gonna kick myself when someone tells me...

It's got 16 channels, so you can have up to 16 soundfonts on the go at once, I've got that understood. BUT - and here's the bit I DON'T understand - it's only got 8 outs! As far as I can understand, in effect that means you can only use 8 soundfonts if you want to EQ (or whatever) them individually because otherwise you're doubling-up on the outs, no? So you start having to use effects on things in pairs, not individually, because you're out of outs, am I right in this?

What's the purpose - and there had to be one originally - of having twice as many channels as outs? Why isn't it 16 outs so you got one per channel?

Now I know, deep inside, that's one dumbass question. I just don't see this. Can anyone put me outta their misery by answering it?

Yours hopefully and Happy Christmas

Chris.