Originally Posted By: lambada
Hi Guitarhacker

I noticed you use Wavepad. I also use that for a lot of ESL language recordings. Do you feel the effects that come with it match up to eg the effects in Realtracks? Do you use any of the other NCH products. I use quite a few others like Switch for file conversion and debut for video recording and soundtap for audio recording. I'm a big fan of most of their products. I also bought Mixpad, but I've not used it for multitrack recording. Are you familiar with it and how do you rate it? Could I consider it a serious DAW product. Sorry I'm pretty new to multi-track recording and DAWs.

Thanks

Neil

I use specific tools for specific jobs. So as far as WavePad is concerned..... here's what I use it to do:

1. To view the overall wave. I can see if the song is compressed and to what level.

2. To trim the starting count in and the dead air at the end.

3. To normalize the file if it's low.

4. To convert to MP3.

I do not use WavePad to add effects or compression to the file. Since I don't use FX in WavePad nor do I use the FX in Real Band or on realtracks, I really can't answer that question about how they compare. All my FX go in at the DAW level in Sonar.

I think I do have a few of their other products on some of my computers, but I don't use them so again, I can't comment on them.

Like so much of the software I use to do what I do, I use it all in very specific ways and limited ways and in many cases don't even touch the vast majority of it's capabilities. BB is a prime example. I use it to compose and write. I rarely ever use the ACW or so many of it's other features. I enter the chords, select a style and proceed to write the song. It's essentially my scratch pad replacing the old pan and paper I used to use.

This is also true of the NCH software. I don't use a function just because it's there. I use it only if I need it.

Hope that helps and answered your questions.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.