Originally Posted By: Luiz Dias
thanks for the advices.
I was talking about using an external usb3 SSD drive.
USB3 is fast, SSD is fast too.
Since my C drive is SSD too, it is fast too, but it is only 64 Gb.
So, the idea is using an external drive for the BIAB (near 100Gb).
I have the BIAB in an external HD, 5400 rpm (very slow), USB2 (slow too).
It works, I know. but I am thinking to use an external USB3 SSD. Very fast. Is it better?
Does it worth the (higher) cost?
I am running the 2016 Mega BIAB on an IBM Lenovo Thinkpad8 with 64Gb SSD drive, 2 Gb RAM, Windows 10 Pro 32 bits, CPU Intel Atom Z3770 1.46 GHz, touchscreen, only ONE usb3 port, 1 HDMI port too.
Interesting 8 inch gadget, looks like a tablet, works like a true conputer.

OK I think I understand, In my opinion your processor is too slow to take advantage of any performance increase realized by using a USB3 SSD external. And you have the bare minimum RAM necessary to make a significant difference, The only speed issue there really is with RB and BIAB is with regenerating tracks and rendering files.

I have an HP ENVY 750-247c (costco exclusive model ran on special last month with the monitor for $1100.00 (I was there to buy some computer paper,) i7 6th generation processor, 24GB ddr4l memory, 1 SSD 120GB and 1 internal 2TB 7200RPM running Windows 10 64 bit, a 32 inch HDMI smart TV monitor.

I hurry home set it up and think. I am going to KILL with BIAB and RB. My old laptop with win 7 64 bit with an i3 and 4 GB ram running BIAB Everything 2015 is just as fast at rendering files and generating. Much to my disappointment.

So I would not spend a dime on upgrading to a usb3 external SSD drive, You will need more storage space to store your song files. And I don't think you will store many locally. That's going to better addressed with a 1 to 2 TB external 7200 USB HD.

Last edited by dga; 04/09/16 04:52 PM.

"When you help somebody else you are really helping yourself"