Originally Posted By: rharv
JJJ,
In your example you are taking a pattern (performance) IK made, so I have no idea what their rules are for use.

The User Track creator is the one taking the leap of saying "You all can use my performance" when he uploads it.
If you are comfortable doing that with your example go ahead; I would not feel good about it myself. That would not meet the intent of a performance.

Yes it is possible to do, but morally off base in my mind.
The intent in your example is to give away something someone else created. You are no longer an artist using a tool to create something at that point; more like an artist making copies of an existing tool.

I agree with you 100%! In that example I would be using IK samples AND IK performance to create a new product for distribution. I think that is both legally and morally wrong.

But I feel using their samples and my performance to create a new product for distribution may also be legally and morally wrong.

Clearly I am allowed to use their samples and my performance in my own songs. But if I distribute the results so others can make songs that is where I think a line has been crossed.

The recipient of the UserTrack gets two valuable things...my performance and IK sounds without ever purchasing an IK license.I cannot imagine my license with IK allows me to redistribute their sounds!

As I have said before my interest is in understanding our rights and not in discouraging anyone from doing this. It would be great to hear from PG as to whether they fully investigated this and concluded we have the right to distribute UserTracks that contain 3rd party licensed samples.