You have good points.

However my old synths work fine in the rack without another computer. They are virtually maintenance free, turn on in a few seconds, and if I ever need a replacement, I see them on Ebay all the time.

It's much easier for me to hook up another synth in the MIDI branched chain than another computer.

I suppose I could run an XP computer forever, if a desktop, but the repairs (I can't do that myself) would possibly be too expensive.

I have a 2002 ThinkPad that gave me over 10 years service doing one-nighters, bouncing on stage, riding in the van, constantly changing temperatures, and running flawlessly every night.

A few years ago it developed a problem. It still works fine, but the laptop screen has to be in certain positions to see the display. I took it in, the Lenovo repairman said IBM quit making those parts years ago. If I buy a broken machine of the same model, I could probably fix it. I told him 'No thanks'.

BTW, the other 2002 ThinkPad is still working flawlessly (I run two on stage). I replaced the defective one with a newer ThinkPad.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks