I'll open up with a few thoughts.

A few years ago I experimented with not using any DirecTV and seeing what I could find online. I thought I got maybe 60% there. News is no problem at all. CNN, FOX and all the broadcast networks are online all the time. I use my big screen TV as my computer monitor so pic quality is important to me. If the online video isn't up to the standards of a cable/sat picture then what's the point of having a good quality big screen any more?

But lately things are much better to the point that good YT vids are full hi def and look great and so do the online news shows.

The big problem is still live sports. Baseball, the NFL and NBA are all locked up and not available via live streaming for home games from what I can tell. If you're not with a big provider it's the radio or nothing.

Then I found out about Windows Media Center, and using a cable card along with an HD HomerumPrime 3 tuner box going through my computer. I dropped DirecTV, switched to Verizon (for their cable card) and saved about $30 a month. Not a lot but I had unlimited storage on my hard drives and no DVR to mess with or pay for.

Now I have Win 10, MS killed Media Center so I'm back with Verizon, (now Frontier) with the usual DVR set up.

Like everybody else I only watch a few shows but I'm paying for all the stuff I never use so "cutting the cord" is very appealing.

So, what's new in this area?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.