Originally Posted By: vzudell
... I had made a backup on a hard drive in July just before my computer went bad and tried to restore them but I can't pick out the files that I need to restore because they are all just numbers and letters that make no sense to me. So they are useless. ...

Depending on the backup program there are different schemes to save the content of your harddrive. Some have cryptic names, some have real names. Some cram everything into container files. In most cases file properties of backuped files are different than the "real ones" even if they have the proper names.

If you have a backup, acquire (borrow, buy...) a harddisk that is large enough to hold all the data and do a complete restore of your backup. You only need it for a day or so. Then you, most probably, will have all the files including their original properties back. After that you can copy what you need.

Since BIAB and RB can be copied "as is" you will have everything back as before. Copy it to your new working disk and everything should be alright.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build